Saturday, June 21, 2008

Gig at George's

Today, several of my colleagues and I met up at George's place to have a guitar gig. Hin Fai, Evelyn and myself arrived at George's at around 12pm and we headed out to Bangsar for lunch. Unfortunately, Hin Fai had an emergency and had to leave after lunch. So it was George, Evelyn and myself left.

We started out by fixing Evelyn's guitar. George made a new saddle for her out of mammoth bones. For the record, she is using a Yamaha F330, which was bought 10++ years ago. Off goes the old saddle, in goes the new bone saddle and spanking Elixir strings. We played Bryan Adam's Everything I Do, and man, it sounds good with more than 1 guitar playing.

We also had an opportunity to try George's guitars. He has a Taylor all Koa guitar, and a Taylor Presentation Series. The Koa guitar itself cost more than RM10k brand new, and the presentation series is > RM20k. Man, this is really my day. Rarely I would have the opportunity to play such beautiful guitars.

This is the all Koa guitar. I thought that this guitar really suits Evelyn. It's a small bodied guitar, and she looks good (and sexy) playing it.


Now this is the crown jewel of them all. A Taylor presentation series with Brazilian rosewood back and sides. Now for the uninformed, Brazilian Rosewood is the ultimate tonewood for guitars. It's almost close to extinction, and it cost a bomb! Many guitar makers will only use Brazilian Rosewood to make their best guitars. Man, I wished I had one of these. A beautiful guitar. Absolutely a stunner.



Anyway, we left at around 4:30 pm after fixing Evelyn's guitar. If George is reading this (hahaha, but I doubt he knows about this site), I would like to thank him for hosting our guitar meet up. PS:- He has a very beautiful Siberian dog, Tasha :)

No comments: